Emoji font in default installation?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Feb 10 14:31:31 UTC 2015

Le Dim 8 février 2015 22:37, Peter Oliver a écrit :
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2015, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 08, 2015 at 05:02:12PM +0000, Peter Oliver wrote:
>>> It seems reasonable to me that we should have a font with emoji
>>> coverage in the default Workstation installation, and I don't think
>>> there is one at the moment. We have google-noto-color-emoji-fonts in
>>> Fedora 22, however, and I'd suggest going with that instead.
>>
>> So... color? In what circumstances will that actually work?
>
> As I understand it, only in the rather niche circumstance that you are
> Behdad Esfahbod and have a specially hacked-up Cairo (see
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fonts/2014-January/001663.html).
>
> The rest of us get greyscale, which looks like this:
> https://mavit.fedorapeople.org/tmp/Screenshot%20from%202015-02-08%2021:30:48.png

Not to mention that to be actually useful, color support must exist on
both sides of the conversation (and the Google solution is not the only
one one the market). Probably too early to set it as defaut, at best as a
dep of the first Fedora IM client that can make use of it. And then remove
the dep when it's no longer experimental-ish

--
Nicolas Mailhot