Funding for people that don't pair with funded people?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:00:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 11:54:26PM -0500, Mel Chua wrote:
> On 11/04/2009 11:47 PM, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering how the funding worked out for those who are being
> > funded for the hotel and want to room with someone who isn't. Mel
> > says that Luke Macken may be in the same boat that I'm in. Was
> > wondering how that works. Thanks.
>
> Ah, looks like I misspoke - looking at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:FUDCon_Toronto_2009_logistics#Room_sharing,
> it's all fully funded room pairings. I thought I'd heard somewhere that
> Luke wanted to room with Remy so J5 was going to see if Bernie still
> needed a roommate and...
>
> ...well, anyway, whatever that was, it's no longer on the wiki.
> Something to quickly ask about at tomorrow's meeting, since I don't
> actually know the answer (I suspect it's just Much Easier if we book
> only funded room-pairs, and let people swap rooms/roommates as needed
> during the actual event).

I'll try to go through these today to resolve how they're being paid,
so we can arrange appropriately.

Anyone who doesn't want to be paired with another person being funded
from the same pot of money will be responsible for working out the
bill, in full knowledge that we will only be paying what we've agreed
up front.  I'll make sure this is relayed to everyone on that list.

We in the FUDCon planning group don't need to book rooms for people.
We should simply tell them, "You are responsible for making sure you
and your roommate are neither single-booked, nor non-booked." :-)
Then we will pick up the appropriate tabs when people leave the hotel
on Monday and/or Tuesday as needed, in accordance with what we've
planned and communicated.

Does this sound like a sensible plan?  Am I missing a problem or
detail?