[LATAM] Meeting 2011-01-14

Igor Pires Soares igorsoares at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 03:02:21 UTC 2011

Em Sex, 2011-01-14 às 17:12 -0600, Dennis Gilmore escreveu:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 05:31:23PM -0500, Alejandro Pérez wrote:
> > Dennis,
> >
> > With the available infrastructure at this point is impossible to have
> > the fudcon barcamp style, I don't understand.
> >
> > What make it impossible to have a fudcon with one room the first day.
> >
> > Please explain the activities for the first day, what is the plan. That
> > is what I have not seem, only room request but nothing telling me why
> > and for what they will be used.
> >
> > There is not plan not really organization for the event at this point
> > that I can show to the sponsor so they understand why this changes.
>
> So my thoughts are, and they are just my thoughts. If we have 2 or 3 rooms on
> the first day we can start with a introduction followed by people
> pitching there talks.  we then go though the barcamp voting and
> scheduling process.
> we would then have only talks on day 1, day 2 could then be a mixture of
> talks and hackfest sessions. and day 3 just hackfest sessions

Alejandro, taking into consideration what Dennis said, it is enough
information for sponsors in order to justify these changes?

Since the current room availability was agreed before this meeting I'm
not feeling like change it is a good ideia, unless it won't cause any
embarrassment to organizers.

> The reason i asked if its possible to get a computer lab is that based
> on past experiences lots of people either do not have laptops or do not
> bring them. which can make hackfests a bit harder. but its certainly not
> critical we have gotten by without it at the previous fudcons.  it was
> identified as a nice to have thing.

IMHO A computer lab would be great. During the Bid process we had venues
with this capability but it wasn't identified as a major characteristic
for taking the decision. If this is not possible now, we should advise
the hackfest participants to come with their laptops.

On the decision meeting those liabilities were discussed a lot and
everyone was aware of the advantages and disadvantages of each venue.
Since the decision is taken we should support them and work together to
address those issues considering all limitations.

--
Igor Pires Soares
Fedora Ambassador (Brazil) - Member of FAmSCo