rebuilding newer haskell for EL6

Michael Ekstrand michael at elehack.net
Sun Mar 10 14:28:35 UTC 2013

Jens,

On 03/10/2013 12:33 AM, Jens Petersen wrote:
> 1. build and install ghc-rpm-macros
> 2. build and install ghc with bootstrapping set in ghc.spec
> 3. build and install bootstrap (static) hscolour (I should probably just give up and make it statically linked)
> 4. rebuild ghc (with bootstrapping unset) and install it
> 5. rebuild dynamic hscolour (can also be done later as needed)
>
> Then you should be fine.  I hope I didn't miss anything.

Thanks! If I need to build ghc-rpm-macros twice (it doesn't seem to
build non-bootstrapped before the new ghc is built), where in the
process does the non-bootstrap build come? Or does it matter much?

>> 2. Is anything else needed? Or am I good to go rebuilding additional
>> Haskell packages in dependency order once I've bootstrapped
>> ghc-rpm-macros, ghc, and hscolour?
>
> You should be yes: but if not, if you can tell what went wrong
> I can try to be of more help.

The symptom I was seeing was segfaults, specifically in HsSyck.  Given
that I wasn't confident in my build, and had seen some anomalies while
working on it, I want to make sure that I have the stack properly built,
then try to chase down whatever might be wrong on the HsSyck side.

- Michael