[fedora-india] What is the easiest way to find an Ambassador near to oneself ?

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 05:11:39 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 10:13 +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> > In an ideal world, I'd look for a way to input a location and, get a
> > list of Ambassadors nearest to me ordered in priority by location and,
> > then state etc. What should we do to make that happen ? A sort of
> > "reach out to the Ambassador near you" kind of application ?
> I shall do it anyway.
> Do you think people will reply when contacted?

hi,

A lot of ambassadors lack accountability. I suggest a weeding process to
weed ones that are inactive. I know this has been done before, but
housekeeping is periodic, isn't it?

Since becoming a fedora ambassador is a voluntary activity,requiring no
qualification, a lot of folks join up just so they can call themselves
"Fedora Ambassador in India" without paying *any* respect to it's
duties.

As starters,for eg(s),

- IIRC, all ambassadors were required to post on their blogs (every 3
months atleast , I think?) regarding what work they've been doing?
- How many of them even take part in discussions on this list?
- How many of them are helping spread Fedora or contributing otherwise?

There are a lot of other duties that need to be fulfilled which are
going *ignored*. As a side effect, *we* end up asking questions such
as,"If there are *so many* ambassadors, why isn't the LC program
working??"

Replying to a mail saying "Yes, I'm an ambassador and I've been doing
this recently."(which there is no way of confirming) is not enough to
"qualify" someone as an ambassador. Most folks only wake up to reply to
that one mail so they can keep the "FA in India".

It's better to have a bunch of *ACTIVE* ambassadors rather that 1 huge
pile of inactive ones. At least we'll know whose going to reply and
whose not.

The Ambassadors page should not be open for all to edit. Similar to the
Map page, which generates itself, it should generate itself depending
upon a group such as "Proven ambassador" which will need sponsorship
(like a proven packager). You get a "proven ambassador" if you're
working, else you don't get your name on the list to "show" people.  And
yes, if you stop working, "proven ambassador" sprouts wings and flies
away.

There was a "probation period" for new ambassadors too. I haven't quite
seen it implemented.

--
regards,

Ankur