[fedora-india] Using two interfaces simultaneously?

Ritesh Sinha sinha.k.ritesh at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 09:25:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> Is it possible for me to use two separate internet connections, one via
> eth0 and the other via wlan0 at the same time?
>
> I have been allotted a wireless connection from University, however this
> one presents some trouble in certain tasks (It's also deactivated from
> 0000 to 0600). Because I intend to set up a server where some of my
> friends would hold accounts (for fedora-tour development etc.), I got
> myself an Airtel internet connection (it needs to be on 24x7). It would
> be great if I could use them both simultaneously and specify what
> program should use what interface.

An idea would be to use ifenslave to bond both the interfaces
together. i.e if one went down, the other would be up and running.
You'd have a common interface name e.g. bond1 with a static IP address
which would transparently hook together both interfaces. Alternatively
you can try and set up a shell script that reconfigures network
interfaces between certain times of the day or other conditions (this
would mean not allowing NetworkManager to use the interface).

To allow people to ssh in via your airtel connection, all you need to
do is set up portforwarding on the router provided.