[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Backups

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Jul 10 18:33:08 UTC 2006

Hi Everyone,

Sorry i missed the meeting Thursday  a Xerox  guy turned up late  then i
couldn't get him to leave :(

Can everyone look over http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Backup and
provide some feedback here so that we can get some traction  moving forward.

Some issues not covered in the wiki are how each would be implemented.  i know
rdiff-backup  and i assume backuppc would need to be ran by a user who has
sufficient privileges on each machine  to read whats needed to be backed up.
what does this mean?

Well in the case of rdiff-backup  it could be run centrally as a cron job  but
the user that gets connected to at the other end needs to be able to read
everything  or  it could be decentralised  and run as a cron job  for root on
each box being backed up.  it could then send the data to the backup server
as a user with no privileges.

bacula avoids this by running a daemon on each host.  If  there is still
people wanting to use bacula  I will finish  and submit the bacula package I
started on for extras  so we can get a review of it rolling.   If there is
demand for backuppc then I can start packaging it  or someone else can if
they want.

But please provide some feedback  or I will make a decision myself.

Regards
Dennis