Our SCM

Anand Capur admin at arcnetworks.biz
Tue Jun 19 13:41:41 UTC 2007

> Before you guys descend into a discussion of specific SCMs can you talk
> about what the goals are for what you want to do?  Mike touched on them
> but I think that it needs more discussion before you talk about what you
> love/hate about specific tools.
>
> --Chris
I'm sure mike will say more, but here.
    * Unix accounts or certificate based authentication
    * Access Control Lists of per-package per-branch granularity
          o Ideally this means per-directory ACL's
    * ACLs will allow view and commit access to select contributors.
          o Embargo branches should be on the same server as the
normal branches. This is necessary to allow certain upstream
developers to work in cooperation with Fedora maintainers.
          o We need to scale up to hundreds of branches per package in
the long run.
          o Some package/branches would be read-only to most users.
          o Other package/branches need to be completely hidden from
most users.
    * E-mail notification when changes occur. These notifications must
be sent from the server, and it must be not possible for users to
bypass.
    * Distributed SCM allows easy sub-collections of the distribution
to be built and tested independently, then the bulk be easily merged
back while minimizing effort.
    * Translations for core packages are right now implemented via
cvs.fedora.redhat.com and tied to CVS. More longterm they might also
benefit from a more modern version control system.

Highly Desirable Abilities:

    * Ability to check out only a portion of the tree in order to work
on only a package, instead of the entire tree.