Looking for input: Segregating hosts to specific VM servers

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 17:53:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:36, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
>> Currently we have our staging environment and our production
>> environment on the same servers. This works well for the most part
>> because the loads generated by staging rarely affect production.
>> However there are times where it would be nice to be able to test
>> certain 'issues' together. As in updating the core xen/kvm server and
>> a staging environment without affecting anything in production. My
>> idea would be to look at either repurposing or budgeting for a staging
>> xen server (lets call it sxen01 for convention) that would be used for
>> various staging servers that could test for updates to say EL5.5->
>> EL5.6 on all the systems at once or to work on tuning variables
>> without affecting production servers.
>>
>> This is an initial idea so I am looking for feedback.
>>

> IIRC we had them this way before but had to merge them back together.  I'd
> say xen01.stg would be following the convention we already have in place.

that makes more sense than sxen01 or some sthing.

> I'm not inheritly against this but unfortunatly the shared network means
> we don't gain a whole lot from it.

Well what if we put it on cloud network :). [Ok now I am off into the
deep end :)]

> What host did you have in mind?

I was figuring xen13 when it gets repaired. It would basically take
say koji/cvs/app02/proxy2 and we would go from there.. [that should
then allow us to test things like haproxy  changes that we want to see
where proxy1/proxy2 die or somesuch.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.