dev.fedoraproject.org

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sun Jul 18 04:28:09 UTC 2010

So it is probably time to have a dev.fedoraproject.org.  Why?  Well,
toshio had mentioned having others do some of the 'sysadminy' tasks so
developers can focus on development.

Also Luke had an analogous request wrt community and staging but before I
go setting things up some topics for discussion:

1) Security staging and production are identical.  Since production data
regularly gets migrated to staging people that have access to one, might
as well have access to the other.  Generally our staging environment is
mostly used for integration work, some load work as well.

2) Should we run development from rpms that get edited (like live patches)
or should we run them from scm(ish) checkouts.  I generally vote for the
latter as it feels more useful in a development lifecycle.  But we should
come up with a quick standard for how to store this stuff.  something like
/srv/dev/

3) I don't want this to be all fancy.  All of our apps run in their own
namespaces so we should be able to get by with one or two app dev servers
and we should be able to use them without a reverse proxy.

Questions comments?  It'd be nice to just throw them all together on a
couple of hosts in their own namespace.  It'll help find issues with them
playing together.

	-Mike