Partial mass rebuild for Python 2.7 coming soon (I hope)

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Jul 21 00:14:03 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 07:02:13 pm David Malcolm wrote:
> I'm planning to do a partial mass-rebuild for Python 2.7.
>
> This would cover all Python 2 users within the distribution, roughly
> 1000 src.rpms.
>
> Some notes can be seen at:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7/MassRebuild
>
> I hoped to start this tomorrow (2010-07-21) at 16:00 UTC, but it looks
> like I need to wait until at least after the outage that's due for that
> time [1]. Further, I'm still waiting to hear back to see if the build
> should be done with the "gold" linker, rather than "gnu-ld" [2].  I will
> delay the build until after a decision is made on this.
>
> This may mean that I'll wait until 2010-07-22.
>
> Some areas of uncertainty remain:
> - the script to do this, as written, assumes no build ordering is
> needed.  I know that some ordering is needed, and plan to manually order
> the first four builds which I hope is the bulk of it, but it's not clear
> to me if more is needed; I'm running some tests to try to better
> determine this.
>
> Hope this makes sense
> Dave
>
> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2280
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GoldLinkerDefault
Dave,

Please just do the building, we currently have 19 x86_64 builders.  builder
cpu time really is not an issue here.  we can untag any wasteful rebuild so
that it gets garbage collected.  if we change the distro default linker and it
needs a rebuild then it will be done then.  at this point we are best served
by just getting things done.

Dennis