Partial mass rebuild for Python 2.7 coming soon (I hope)

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Wed Jul 21 16:15:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 19:14 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 07:02:13 pm David Malcolm wrote:
> > I'm planning to do a partial mass-rebuild for Python 2.7.
> >
> > This would cover all Python 2 users within the distribution, roughly
> > 1000 src.rpms.
> >
> > Some notes can be seen at:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7/MassRebuild
> >
> > I hoped to start this tomorrow (2010-07-21) at 16:00 UTC, but it looks
> > like I need to wait until at least after the outage that's due for that
> > time [1]. Further, I'm still waiting to hear back to see if the build
> > should be done with the "gold" linker, rather than "gnu-ld" [2].  I will
> > delay the build until after a decision is made on this.
> >
> > This may mean that I'll wait until 2010-07-22.
> >
> > Some areas of uncertainty remain:
> > - the script to do this, as written, assumes no build ordering is
> > needed.  I know that some ordering is needed, and plan to manually order
> > the first four builds which I hope is the bulk of it, but it's not clear
> > to me if more is needed; I'm running some tests to try to better
> > determine this.
> >
> > Hope this makes sense
> > Dave
> >
> > [1] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2280
> > [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GoldLinkerDefault
> Dave,
>
> Please just do the building, we currently have 19 x86_64 builders.  builder
> cpu time really is not an issue here.  we can untag any wasteful rebuild so
> that it gets garbage collected.  if we change the distro default linker and it
> needs a rebuild then it will be done then.  at this point we are best served
> by just getting things done.
>
> Dennis

[CCing Jeff Law for "gold" input (feature owner)]

I was asked at the FESCo meeting to wait for the python 2.7 rebuild
until a decision is made on using gold or not, and how to turn it on in
the buildroots:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2010-07-20/fesco.2010-07-20-19.30.log.html#l-429

On rereading the logs it's not at all clear who was tasked with chasing
up the "gold" feature (hence CCing Jeff Law).

My feelings here are that getting things done is good, and that builds
are cheaper than contributor time, hence multiple rebuilds serving
different purposes aren't a serious waste compared to risks of schedule
slips.  Plus I'd prefer to isolate possible breakage from python 2.6 ->
2.7 from possible breakage due to ld->gold: changing a single variable
at a time is good for my sanity!

Dave