[Fwd: Re: Results of Fedora Participation Survey?]

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon May 17 21:37:01 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 04:23:06PM -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 2010, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> >work analyzing the survey results.  Basically, they need someone to
> >run a few SQL queries via JSON:
> >
> >(1) The count of unique people, determined by full names and/or email
> >addresses, active in at least one mailing list/group, which would
> >provide an estimate of the number of active people in the Fedora
> >Accounts System.  The count won't include actual names or addresses.
>
> So we take the total set of FAS people and then look if that address
> is subscribed to ANY of our mailing lists and if so then count them?
>
> Is that right?
>
> That count won't involve them actually POSTING, right?

Well, they're looking for "active" in that group, which says posting
to me, but I'll check that with the researchers.  I don't think we can
delineate in that way for FAS groups, though; approved memberships is
the extent of what we can track there.

> >(2) The distribution of mailing lists/groups per person (e.g., X
> >people are in 1 mailing list/group, Y people are in 2 mailing
> >lists/groups, Z people in a 3 mailing lists/groups, etc), which would
> >provide an estimate of how many mailing lists/groups active people are
> >typically part of in the Fedora Accounts System.  Again, these counts
> >won't include actual names or addresses
>
> I wonder where mpdehaan is when you need to abuse him.

Actually, you may want mpdehaan-jr, a/k/a ianweller. ;-)

> >In addition, there are some counts they need for specific lists/groups
> >based on actual responses, and I can work with someone from
> >Infrastructure to get those.

> archives.

No -- counts of group/list membership specifically for respondents to
the survey.  It just wasn't appropriate to dump that list of names
here.

I'll get that list to you, along with the specific requests to apply
to it, and some input from the researchers about their definition of
"active" per above.

> >Is there anyone who could assist me in pulling these numbers?  We can
> >do this after Fedora 13 GA, if people are hosed with workload right
> >now.  The researchers are aware people are always very busy around
> >release time.
>
> I can help. I reserve the right to cry and flagellate myself with
> some sort of hooked whip.

Someone needs a hug! ;-)