cron.daily jobs needed?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue May 18 01:53:41 UTC 2010

Now that I've knocked out a few MM bugs, other interesting trends are
emerging.

Why are the app* servers running all these in cron.daily?  The
combination of these take approximately 2 hours, and show up very
noticibly on the collectd graphs.  I'm not sure which ones are the
most IO-intensive for that duration - I haven't caught it during the
run to watch.

logrotate - arguably necessary, unless this is done centrally instead?

makewhatis.cron - we don't have many manpages on the app servers, and
don't change them that often.  Daily?  Really?

prelink - we don't start apps that often - they're mostly
long-running.

rkhunter - arguably necessary

rpm - again, daily?  Unclear what this serves us.  It's just a file
listing all the RPMs installed at that moment in time.

tetex.cron - looks like it'd go fast, so no big deal.  But why do we
have tetex-fonts installed on the app servers?

tmpwatch - good to have

Something to consider revising after the freeze?

Thanks,
Matt
--
Matt Domsch