Need help with an incident

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Fri May 28 05:45:15 UTC 2010

On 28/05/10 06:37, Tristan Santore wrote:
> On 28/05/10 06:08, Ian MacGregor wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>  My name is Ian MacGregor and my Fedora Project information can be found
>> here:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ardchoille42
>>
>> Please accept my apologies if I'm sending this information to the wrong
>> mailing list.
>>
>> I was involved in an incident in which a channel operator on IRC
>> conducted himself in behavior that I felt was harassing and unfair. I
>> checked many pages in the wiki and did not see any sort of IRC Council
>> that I could go to in order to report an op who is not complying with
>> the IRC operators code of conduct:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/IRC_operators_code_of_conduct
>>
>> Where can a normal user go to report misbehaving channel operators?
> Hello Ian,
>
> I feel your pain, although I was not present when you had your issue,
> some operators have behaviour, that in my humble opinions is not
> acceptable. I myself have been annoyed about that in the past, but more
> recently I have just abstained from helping people (who needed help),
> due to some OPs being stupid, or because some other users were being
> abusive. It is not my loss, but a loss to the users.
> I was told by somebody to report the issue to the #fedora-ops channel,
> but as you will find out, all ops are there. So, quite frankly, that is
> a rubbish idea, which is why I never complained.
>
> Then, there seems to be no real complaints procedure, besides the fact,
> that some people (op or not) seem to be immune to being asked by
> operators, to conduct themselves according to the guidelines set out in
> that document you posted.
>
> Somebody told me to bring these issues to the attention of spot, Tom
> Callaway, but then I personally believe Tom is so busy, last he wants to
> deal with is such issues (just me I guess. I don't like to harass people
> I like and I know are busy).
>
> I guess you could go to the relevant channel meeting. I guess your issue
> happened in the support channel i.e. #fedora.
>
> There is a irc support meeting which takes place every so often. You
> should be able to find information about it on the wiki.
>
> Apart from that, I personally always got the feeling nobody cares, which
> is a shame, as I guarantee, that we put off so many people from using
> Fedora or even Linux (people switching from that proprietary system).
>
> I can understand that support work is frustrating, but then again,
> nobody is forcing people to support, and the irc support guide says, if
> one gets annoyed one should step back and excuse oneself.
>
> Anyway, maybe you have more luck, enthusiasm to do something about it.
> After I spoke to some people, I got the impression it was pointless,
> and must even admit, that I was so annoyed I kinda lost interest in
> Fedora as a whole for a bit. But then, I really love it, so now I just
> try and avoid the irc support channel, or just part it when some idiot
> [...]

I should have added, that each user we lose is a future bug reporter,
developer, or other potential helper. And everyone is complaining that
we have too few people interested in voting, or helping out. #fedora is
our sales team, more or less. First user contact. And we should
definitely do our utmost to make that experience pleasant, after all we
pride ourselves on the slogan: Freedom, friends, features, first.
I guess a lot of people do not feel like being a FRIEND in the #fedora
support channel, the way they are (spoken) "written" to/treated.

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefor no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org