System Naming Schema

Adam M. Dutko dutko.adam at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:50:58 UTC 2011

The following disscussion about how to name machines popped up in the
meeting today:

15:42 < nirik> basically the issue is this... we have a db01 machine in puppet,
               we want to replace it with another new shiny instance.
15:42 < nirik> if we also call it db01, then there is a time where we have to
               cut over and the old machine gets no more updates, etc.
15:43 < nirik> and there may be puppet changes to make the new db01 happy that
               would have to be reverted if we went back to the old one.

I am attempting to continue it on the mailing list. Instead of using
functional names like db01, db02, web01 and etc. I've always used
mythological names like heracles, odin, thor, and etc. It makes it a
bit difficult to determine the functionality of a system but it makes
it a lot easier to perform upgrades and changes like Nirik mentioned.
If desired we could then use DNS in the form of CNAME records to
create "functional aliases" like db01 and etc. that wouldn't affect
our core utilities like puppet.

Just a thought. Feedback?