Fedora Community

Matt_Domsch at Dell.com Matt_Domsch at Dell.com
Thu Jul 7 13:01:02 UTC 2011

Bradley Kuhn has told me before that our interpretation of AGPL was somewhat "tight".  If we're going to re-consider, it's worth consulting with him.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist
Social Media and Community Professional
Dell | Office of the CTO

-----Original Message-----
From: infrastructure-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org [mailto:infrastructure-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Stephen John Smoogen
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:15 AM
To: Luke Macken
Cc: Fedora Infrastructure; spot; duffy; websites
Subject: Re: Fedora Community

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 18:22, Luke Macken <lmacken at redhat.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Stephen John Smoogen's message of Wed Jul 06 19:34:46 -0400 2011:
>> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 15:53, Luke Macken <lmacken at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > Excerpts from Stephen John Smoogen's message of Tue Jul 05 17:44:46 -0400 2011:
>> >
>> > This app was never really intended to ever be "finished". It was
>> > meant to be a platform for building widgets to visualize Fedora
>> > data. However, I do think it's definitely still 'beta' quality, and
>> > the original authors (J5, Mo, and I), have not had the cycles to
>> > continue to improve it. We accomplished our initial goals, and then
>> > got pulled into different directions (one of which was working on
>> > the core of the platform, Moksha).
>> >
>> > Personally, I still use fedoracommunity on a regular basis, and
>> > find it to be extremely useful in many ways. Right now we do not
>> > have any idea as to how many people are using it. I think we should
>> > do some log
>>
>> Did the following quick statistics using awk:
>>
>> Currently we are seeing 380->420 unique ip addresses per month who
>> are not bots or not referrals from other sites. Most go to
>> /community/ but
>> ~100 of them made queries beyond standard page data (images,
>> javascript, and /community/). While it doesn't sound a lot.. for a
>> site that doesn't have a lot of advertising it is an audience.
>
> Wow, yeah, that's more of an audience than I expected. Thanks for
> figuring that out.

Going for more numbers.. in June we are looking at about 40 visitors per day but that is highly skewed because on Jun 10th we had 5x as many visitors as normal. Removing that day brought it down

>> > With regard to the claims that the AGPL makes this app difficult to
>> > maintain -- I honestly cannot recall a single case where we had to
>> > hotfix it and jump through the AGPL hoops. If anything, this helped
>> > us figure out what it takes to develop, deploy, and maintain both
>> > TurboGears2 and AGPL applications.
>>
>> We did it twice right after it was deployed. We went one way in how
>> we were going to do this and had to undo it the next day when Tom got
>> clarification that pointing to tickets/patches was not acceptable. If
>> we could move to Apache or just GPL I would be quite happy. My memory
>> of it was that there was a bunch of stuff having to be done right
>> then, but it is a memory and probably not a good one.
>
> Are you sure we got clarification that pointing to tickets was *not*
> acceptable? Because we currently have a "Fedora Infrastructure Hotfixes"
> link that points to:

My laptop had a meltdown this evening and I had to recover what I was doing.. but I had been running through emails and this is what our rule is:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Licensing

The fact the page is still draft and there are few emails after August
2009 on this basically says we just dropped it like many other things.

> I still think that keeping our fedoracommunity frontend AGPL is a good
> thing. We did, however, recently change the core platform (Moksha),
> from AGPL to Apache.

Well the issue from a programming side point is nice with AGPL, but compliance is more of a pain on the sysadmin side. Of course it has been 3 years so maybe how things are meant to be complied with have changed.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle." -- Ian MacLaren _______________________________________________