Proposal: decommision fedoracommunity/stats running on app07

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 21:09:04 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 03:46:08PM -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
> Hi,
>  We have one remaining RHEL5 host - app07. It is being kept alive in
> order to keep running the fedoracommunity/stats page. After talking
> with Luke about it I went looking through the http logs for
> fedoracommunity on app07. In the last year the number of connections
> hitting a url mentioning 'statistics' page is 1994. In the last 3
> months the number is 15.
>
> In the last 2 months the number is 0.
>

> I think it is not helping up to keep this one oddball host around for
> this. I'd like to suggest we decomm community/statistics and either
> rebuild app07 as rhel6 or just terminate it.
>
> Is there any thing about doing this that we need to be concerned
> with? any additional worries as to what's on app07 or what is using
> the community/statistics page that I'm not thinking of?

works for me.  When we first moved community off to its own rhel5 host so we
could upgrade the rest of the app* servers there seemed to be a consensus
that we could get rid of community but datanommer might be right around the
corner so if there were no issues there might not be a burden to keeping it
up and running.

Since "just around the corner" has expired quite a few months ago and
getting pam_url built for RHEL5 is proving to be less simple than dropping
the SRPM into koji it seems quite fine to decommission it.

It's similar to the case of smolt -- an optional service that isn't being
used by many with a new service preparing to take its place somewhere in the
wings.

-Toshio