Web application frameworks and the future

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jul 5 20:49:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:23:08 -0700
Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

...snip a bunch of stuff I agree with... ;)

> My primary goal is to decide what framework to port our old TG1 code
> to so that we can stop maintaining the TG1 stack before upstream
> stops working on it at all.  My secondary concern is that we stop
> growing the other stacks that we're maintaining and concentrate on
> one or two which will make mainenance easier.  Can we choose two
> frameworks right now that will suit our needs?  It seems that flask
> can serve a niche and maybe should be one of them.  What should our
> bells and whistles framework be?  TG2 or pyramid or something else
> entirely?

I have no horse in this race, so I think if our application developers
can chime in and reach a consensus thats good for me.

it sounds like flask and pyramid might be the way to go, but I'm happy
to go with whatever the consensus is.

So, for TG1 apps thats:

mirrormanager
packagedb
fas
elections
bodhi

One thing that might also weigh into this is existing porting work
thats already been done to TG2. Ie, if developers would be willing to
re-target pyramid or would prefer to go to TG2 due to existing work to
move to that.