GSoC idea to setup Gitlab for Fedora Hosted, looking for mentors

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 20 14:47:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:39:42 +0200
Stas Sușcov <stas at nerd.ro> wrote:

> Not sure passenger is the problem.
> Gitlab uses the awesome Resque[1], so you will need something like
> foreman[2] to run the app with it's workers all together (at least
> this is the easiest way to do that).
> I would go with a different stack like unicorn[4] as the webserver
> and use apache (if you really want to keep it, other-way I would
> consider nginx) as a reverse proxy.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq/blob/master/Gemfile#L29
> [2]:
> http://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/procfile#developing_locally_with_foreman
> [3]:
> https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq/blob/master/Procfile.production
> [4]: https://github.com/blog/517-unicorn

1. For authentication/authorization I think apache is going to be a
requirement

2. Packaging is critical - we will not be installing a thousand gems
directly. They will need to be packaged.

one thing I've not understood about gitlabhq as a development project
is where is the development portion of it? We're not talking about
writing much code, I think. It is mostly about setting up and
integrating gitlabhq into the overall fedorahosted infrastructure.

-sv