builders of the future!!!!!

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Mar 21 15:19:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:03:24 -0400
seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:33:51 -0600
> Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>
> > There's a few things we could do on fas load:
> >
> > a) add more fas servers.
> > b) reduce the number of runs. How often do we change someone in
> > sysadmin-noc, sysadmin-main, sysadmin-build?
> > c) move to a system where we only re-run fasClient when there is a
> > change.
>
> I'm thinking for the hosts which are sysadmin-ish only - do C.
>
> for the publicish hosts continue to poll fas directly.
>
> so:
> - hosted, people, bastion, publictests == poll
> - everything else is a set built and pushed to them.

Yeah, the trick is knowing when there is a change that affects them...

I wonder if we could make fas smarter. Have a serial # for each group.
It pulls and keeps track of that. Then it pulls again but just asks
"what serial # do you have for groups x, y, z". Probibly too much added
complexity I guess.

> > I'd agree collectd off probibly. Or at least a seperate one if we
> > needed to monitor them.
>
> I'm not sure what benefit we get from collectd on transient builders,
> though.
>
> On our long-running hosts I understand but not on the builders.

Yeah, the only case I can see is so we could see how loaded they are...
and we might have better ways to tell that.

> > Yeah, we could hopefully have another network thats larger than /24
> > for the arm builders.
>
> I can imagine various network changes should easily allow us to
> allocate larger than a /24 to the internal build network.

Yeah.

> > I'm sure some of this will be a process of 'oh no, what we have now
> > doesn't scale, lets fix it'. Of course some of it we can get ready
> > for up front too.
>
> yay for planning! :)
>

> > Overall I like the idea of the automated builder re-install and
> > think it will get us more ready for things like a large arm
> > cluster.
>
> Then I will get crackin' on making it work.

Sounds good.