FYI, pkgs git process cleanup

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 16 03:07:07 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 14:12 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> We started getting some failed builds today due to koji not being able
> to get git checkouts from pkgs01.
>
> $ git clone -n
> git://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gnome-shell /var/lib/mock/f17-build-1342530-216385/root/tmp/scmroot/gnome-shell
> fatal: read error: Connection reset by peer Cloning
> into /var/lib/mock/f17-build-1342530-216385/root/tmp/scmroot/gnome-shell...
>
> and
>
> $ git clone -n
> git://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/digikam /var/lib/mock/f17-build-1342529-216385/root/tmp/scmroot/digikam
> fatal: read error: Connection reset by peer Cloning
> into /var/lib/mock/f17-build-1342529-216385/root/tmp/scmroot/digikam...
>
> There were some IP's hitting pkgs01 pretty hard on checkouts,

Was one of them coming from Hong Kong?

If so, please accept my apologies.

My company produces an EL6-based distro with some packages taken from
Fedora (where we need more up-to-date stuff), so yesterday I was testing
a script to automate the process of comparing the version of the
packages in our Git with the ones in the Fedora Git.

The script goes as follows:
  for each module in our git:
      clone the module
      get the evr
      add a git remote pointing to the Fedora git
      fetch that remote
      switch to the fedora branch we are based on
      get the evr

So I've been doing quite a lot of fetching from the Fedora Git
yesterday.

I was actually wondering whether I had any significant impact and
whether there was a test environment I could hit instead of the
production one, but when I arrived at work this morning I found this
thread before asking.

So... Is there such an environment? Or is it just a bad idea for me to
hit the Fedora git in this way, and I should find another way to check
for updates?

> but that
> turns out to not be the real issue. There were a number of old stale
> connections laying around, making it so it hit xinetd limits much
> faster than normal.
>
> I killed 46 old git upload-pack processes and 51 old stale ssh
> connections that were all from Feb, then restarted xinetd. This seemed
> to clear things up.

I haven't done any upload yesterday (only fetches by the aforementioned
script), and I clone anonymously (to avoid the SSH overhead, not to
pretend it's not me), so I'm not responsible for these ones.

But again, sorry for the trouble I may have caused.

I'll pause my working on this script for now, let me know if what I'm
doing is ok for Fedora and if I can resume it.

Thanks,

--
Mathieu