tracking cloud instances

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 18 19:18:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 05:02:00PM -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> I'm thinking we need a tool that would poll the cloudlet(s),
> retrieve all the basic, available, info about the running instances.

Unfortunately, neither Eucalpytus or OpenStack support 'tags' in the EC2
api. That wouldn't solve the entire problem, but it's the right way to do
part of it.

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/Using_Tags.html

I bring this up not just to be annoying :) but wanted to make sure you're
aware of it when designing anything. (I think practically that means: store
things as key value pair per resource, and try to keep below Amazon's
arbitrary limit of 10 tags per resource.)