Interested in Gitlab for Fedora Hosted Projects | GSoC 2013

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 12 13:34:55 UTC 2013

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:47:21 +0200
Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Ankur,
>
> Since GitLab is Ruby on Rails application and the first step is to
> package it and all its dependencies for Fedora, I recommend you to
> join the Ruby-SIG ML, where is already ongoing discussion about it.

Seems to me the first step is to see if maintaining it and deploying it
is actually what we want - which it is not at all clear it is anymore.

Upstream gitlab devel is pretty negative on public browseability of the
trees. They won't even accept patches to do it. Also - if you read
their tickets there seems to be some other issue with that.

Finally, I am concerned that gitlab looking similar to github is a
liability. Due to the visual similarity many folks will be expecting
some kind of feature parity and it is safe to say that gitlab is very,
very far from that and they don't even seem interested in pursuing it.

That's concerning.

-sv