Setting up GitLab for fedorahosted.org

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Mar 3 17:24:09 UTC 2013

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 04:44:39 +0200
Axilleas Pipinellis <axilleas at archlinux.gr> wrote:

> Greetings from a newly registered member!
>
> I've seen the 'GSoC @ Infra' thread but I didn't want to hijack it
> nor do I know how to reply to a thread through mailman...
>
> I will be applying for GSoC this summer and GitLab is my first
> priority as I have been using it since version 2 and I want to
> contribute in any way I can. I have been talking with Vit Ondruch
> about the packaging procedure and I just sent a mail [0] to the
> ruby-sig list too, regarding this.

Excellent. ;)

> I have also read last year's discussion [1] and it was made clear by
> Dan Allen [2] that besides the whole implementation thing, it is as
> important to find some people that will maintain the project
> longterm. And I am willing to do this. I don't know if it is possible
> for more than one person to work on a project during GSoC, but
> another fellow is interested in this as well [3]. So, now we are
> two :p
>
> This should be very interesting and I am looking forward to hearing
> from the infra team :)

Sure. We have talked about this as well... I think the important thing
to focus on right now is the packaging. Until it's packaged and up to
Fedora guidelines, we aren't likely to look at deploying it. :)

Once the packaging hurdle is overcome, yeah, we would want a team to
help manage it and deploy it and keep it running.

Do see:
http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/infra/docs/requestforresources.txt
and
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Request_For_Resources

For our process on adding a new stupported application. It's kind of
lengthy, but we want to make sure things are supportable and
maintainable.

Good luck and keep us posted on the packaging process. ;)