Diagnosing Ask Fedora sluggishness

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 00:02:46 UTC 2013

Hi Anshu, Kevin,

On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 10:07 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 14:19:20 +0530
> Anshu Prateek <anshprat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The generic yslow grades suggest couple of improvements:
> >
> > Grade F on Add Expires headers
> >
> > There are 55 static components without a far-future expiration date.
> > Grade F on Configure entity tags (ETags) There are 27 components with
> > misconfigured ETags
> >
> > Grade E on Use cookie-free domainsThere are 9 components that are not
> > cookie-free
> >
> > And some more.
> >
> > All of these for https://ask.fedoraproject.org/questions/

Can you tell if these are issues limited to our deployment, or if they
are things upstream needs to correct, in which case we can go ahead and
file bugs?

> Yeah, askbot is using our haproxy/varnish setup as well as memcached, so
> if upstream can tweak things to be more caching friendly that would help
> for sure.

I compared the pingdom tests for our askbot instance, against the one
that upstream has deployed:

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/bFd18x/http://askbot.org/en/questions/

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/dmLsqz/http://ask.fedoraproject.org/questions/

Upstream's deployment takes 1.07 seconds, while ours takes 3.07. Would
this imply that we can at least tweak our deployment to perform as quick
as upstream's?

(Upstream's comment posting etc. doesn't lag at all either. The comment
is posted as soon as one clicks "post".)

> Actually in this case you might want to look at the django level one?
> modules/askbot/templates/settings.erb:
>
> MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES = (
>     #'django.middleware.gzip.GZipMiddleware',
>
> There may also be some other caching stuff there we should or shouldn't
> enable... not sure anyone has fully investigated all those.

I'll look into these, see if there's one we can use.

--
Thanks,
Warm regards,

Join Fedora! Come talk to us!