Fedora koji upgrade -- features and schedule

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 7 15:39:16 UTC 2014

I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for this list or for RelEng, but I
figure the RelEng folks read this too, so I'd start here.

The newer release of upstream Koji has the feature where images can be
generated with Anaconda rather than appliance-creator (through Oz via
ImageFactory). Since appliance-creator is not really maintained upstream
(excepting Dennis's hacking to keep it working), this is pretty important.

And since it will require the cloud kickstart (and anything else that wants
to use it) to be updated, the longer we have to get the kinks out, the
better.

On top of this, upstream ImageFactory is gaining support for generating
Docker images, and we're getting a lot of push for making these official, or
at least more official than they are now, and generated-in-koji would be a
great start. That code should be in the upstreams (and the Fedora packages)
soon, but isn't yet. Since I assume we don't want to do the upgrade more
times than necessary, this is adds a wrinkle to the timing.

Are there existing plans for upgrading koji? What all is needed to make this
happen? Thanks!