state of the infra ansible, cron job and roadmap

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Thu Jan 9 19:26:51 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 01:10:40PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> That said, how do we want to run our non manual ansible jobs?
>
> a) run a --check --diff once a day and yell about unreachable or
> changed>0
> (I could commit this now)

:+1:

> b) just run them once a day and yell about anything that changes.
> (I could commit this now)

+0, this could be fine.. but it would be a shame if it ran at a time
when we were all asleep, or when there happened to be load, or...

> c) Trigger them on git commits.
> This would take work to figure out what was affected by the commit,
> or just fire off a run of everything.

I think I saw you mention that a run of everything takes ~1 hour?
That's probably too much for a per-commit action.  A selective run per
commit could be cool though :)

> d) setup some file somewhere that can be created by sysadmin group and
> a cron job picks it up and runs the next time it runs. This would allow
> someone to commit something, schedule a run and give a bit of time for
> someone to notice a problem with it before it does.

Push... and then wait for the doom.