How does someone find the SIG page?

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 19:42:23 UTC 2008

Looks like I never completed this to send, so here goes ...

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 16:25 -0400, Jason Hibbets wrote:
> Hey - In an attempt to find the ISV SIG page today, I had a very
> difficult time navigating from the main page for Fedora Project main to
> the SIG ISV page.  (Thanks BK!)  Obviously, there is a unique balance of
> how things are organized and how high up on the tree one can go.  I, and
> other's on this list, are working hard to promote this group, and we've
> been giving the direct link out.
>
> I guess I can not expect some random ISV person cruising the Fedora site
> to find and sign-up for the group.  What is the best way that we can
> make sure people are able to find this page so they can participate?

Not being on this page in the top section is an oversight:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs

Looks like we got added after you wrote this

At the bottom you'll see that we're in the SIGs category, but the name
is buried due to the nesting underneath SIGs.  We have new naming
guidelines that address that; the nesting is a remnant of practices from
the old wiki.

If you click [Go] by the search field for "ISV", you get the ISV page,
which actually redirects to SIGs/ISV:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ISV

That is not case sensitive for the search, so 'isv' isn't working.

A full search for 'ISV':

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=ISV&fulltext=Search

... turns up nothing.  That is weird.  Oh, the problem is ... Media Wiki
is searching for 'ISV' which actually never appears, it seems it is
always "ISVs" in the pages and titles.  If you search for 'ISVs' then
you get all the answers.

Short of fixing the MediaWiki search tool, maybe we can just reword the
page or embed some keywords to help it be found?

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41