Expedient path into Fedora.

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 00:26:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 03:13:29PM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> On 03/02/2010 03:09 PM, Scott Salley wrote:
> > I have been tasked with getting us (Likewise) into Fedora in the most
> > expedient manner possible (by every executive in the company, it feels
> > like J ). I believe part of the goal is for us to say that Fedora N has
> > Likewise and those users can go and yum likewise-open.
>
> Sounds like a great plan.

+1

As a side topic, I'm very interested in hearing and capturing the
story from Likewise's perspective.  I've started building toward some
case studies of getting open source ISVs in to Fedora.

So, please keep us informed about your progress via this list; let us
know when you run in to any problem and we can help sort where to go;
and when you catch your breath, maybe we can meet up in IRC for an
interview, etc.

> > For likewise-open to work on Fedora, we’ve had to develop policy for
> > SELinux. What is the relationship between SELinux and Fedora? If I
> > submit my patches to SELinux (and they’re accepted), is Fedora 12 likely
> > to get them or will only future releases for Fedora see the changes? How
> > often are changes picked up?
>
> The selinux-policy maintainer (assuming these are policy changes) is
> very proactive in applying policy improvements to active branches, so
> assuming Dan thinks your changes have merit, you can generally count on
> him pushing them into the next update.

Specifically, you can do this to hit both birds with one stone throw:

* File a report in bugzilla.redhat.com against the selinux-policy
  package, and attach your policy bits.  Work out with Dan Walsh via
  the bug report.

* Let Dan manage getting the policy in to the upstream tree as well as
  apply the changes to active branches.

It also works the other direction, filing the policy changes with the
upstream via selinuxproject.org, and then Dan will get them down in to
Fedora.  However, one reason we love working within a distro is that
our fellow package maintainers do the heavy lifting of dealing with
the upstreams, right?

> > Is it possible to get our software into Fedora 12? Would it make sense
> > for us to get a Fedora 12 package going and then to concentrate on
> > Fedora 13+?
>
> Absolutely, although, we won't respin the ISO images for this package. :)

To expand on that, from the perspective of Likewise, you can say it is
"in Fedora 12" if there are Fedora 12 packages in the repository.  At
that point, one can 'yum install likewise-open'.  There are many more
packages in the Fedora repo than fit on the live CD or installable
DVD.  Being included in the gold ISO does not have the cachet or
meaning that it used to. :)

- Karsten