[fedora-java] Re: avalon-framework and doclet classes

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 15:03:01 UTC 2005

Anthony Green wrote:
> I was trying to build something recently that required
> org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Log4JLogger from
> avalon-framework.
>
> The avalon-framework.jar file in FC4 appears to be missing this
> class.  I grabbed the SRPM file from rawhide and attempted to build
> that instead.  The build failed with this...
>
> [javadoc] java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>   com.sun.tools.doclets.standard.Standard not found in
>   gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:./,file:./],
>   parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
>
> I've seen this before.

Me too.  The binary rpm in FC4 and FC5 was built before we had
javadoc, so the error wasn't noticed then.

> It seems that our com-sun-javadoc or com-sun-tools-doclets-Taglet
> jar should be on the default classpath somehow.

It's odd that most things work without, though.

> In any case, I noticed that this build of the jar file includes the
> proper class, but as far as I can tell, this is the same SRPM that
> was used in FC4.  Why wouldn't the FC4 jar file contain the
> Log4JLogger class?

Some packages check for the existence of certain classes and disable
bits of themselves if they're not found.  It's possible that
avalon-framework has such checks, but is missing some build dependency
that forces the necessary class to be installed at build time.

Do you have any idea how to fix the javadoc thing?  If so, I can
rebuild avalon-framework and see if the class you need appears.

Cheers,
Gary