[fedora-java] Problems bootstrapping java-1.4.2-gcj4.0-compat build

David Walluck david at zarb.org
Wed May 4 23:22:02 UTC 2005

I have made a partial list of requirements for a base system and I've
run into a few problems when trying to build everything from the ground up.

First, here is the (partial) list:

    * jpackage-utils
    * java-1.4.2-gcj4.0-compat
          o Requires: eclipse-ecj
          o Requires: gjdoc
                + BuildRequires: antlr
          o Requires: jessie
                + Requires: gnu-crypto
                      # BuildRequires: ant
                      # BuildRequires: bcel
                            * BuildRequires: regexp
                      # BuildRequires: javamail (classpathx)
                            * BuildRequires: classpath-inetlib-javadoc
                      # BuildRequires: jaf (classpathx)
                      # BuildRequires: jakarta-commons-logging
                            * BuildRequires: avalon-logkit
                                  o BuildRequires: servlet (tomcat5)
                            * BuildRequires: avalon-framework
                                  o BuildRequires: xalan-j2
                                        + BuildRequires: jlex
                                        + BuildRequires: java_cup
                                  o BuildRequires: xerces-j2
                      # BuildRequires: jdepend
                      # BuildRequires: jsch
                            * BuildRequires: jzlib
                      # BuildRequires: junit
                      # BuildRequires: log4j
                            * BuildRequires: xml-commons-apis
                      # BuildRequires: oro
                      # BuildRequires: regexp
                      # BuildRequires: xml-commons-resolver

The major problem stems from the requirements (not the build
requirements) of java-1.4.2-gcj4.0-compat. Now, antlr can be built
without ant or the gcj-compat package, so it should be fine as well as
should gjdoc.

Then, our first problem comes from eclipse-ecj. If this is supposed to
come from eclipse, then there is a major bootstrapping problem, as
eclipse has many dependencies. However, ecj used to be distributed
separately. I tried building it, but it relies on katana, and the build
for ecj fails when katana fails with some exception. Anyway, I don't
know if the current wrapper scripts for gcj-compat even honor this
eclipse-ecj jar which has a different name than the current eclipse-ecj
as far as I can tell.

Note that ecj is still in fedora development, but katana is not (even
though it is required by eclipse-ecj).

A minor issue seems to be that classpathx-mail requires
classpath-inetlib-javadoc, only I can't find a separate
classpath-inetlib package. Instead, it seems to be in the
classpathx-mail rpm, in which case no package can provide the
classpath-inetlib-javadoc dependency that is needed.

The other major problem is jessie. Does java-1.4.2-gcj4.0-compat really
need jessie? Probably it does not for any of the base requirements. It
may be possible to leave this requirement out initially, or leave it out
together, and pull in jessie some other way.

The final big headache seems to be that all of tomcat5 would need to be
built to satisfy the servlet requirement of jessie. As I recall, servlet
also used to be distributed separately from tomcat5. This would be a
great win in terms of simplifying how many packages would need to be
bootstrapped.

I would like some opinions on how to handle the ecj requirement and the
jessie/servlet requirement. Keep in mind that if jessie is required by
gcj-compat, then twenty-something packages (not even including tomcat5)
would need to be built, and yet we don't have a compatible jdk
installed. Obviously, nearly everything can be solved by providing a
separate eclipse-ecj that actually builds, and not requiring jessie. A
separate servlet rpm would also be nice, to save pulling in everything
required by tomcat5.

- --
Sincerely,

David Walluck