[fedora-java] Problems bootstrapping java-1.4.2-gcj4.0-compat build

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Thu May 5 02:55:42 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 19:22 -0400, David Walluck wrote:

> Then, our first problem comes from eclipse-ecj. If this is supposed to
> come from eclipse, then there is a major bootstrapping problem, as
> eclipse has many dependencies. However, ecj used to be distributed
> separately. I tried building it, but it relies on katana, and the build
> for ecj fails when katana fails with some exception. Anyway, I don't
> know if the current wrapper scripts for gcj-compat even honor this
> eclipse-ecj jar which has a different name than the current eclipse-ecj
> as far as I can tell.

Yes, we know about this circular dependency.  We didn't want to create
and maintain an eclipse-ecj RPM separate from the Eclipse package.  The
real solution here is to make gcj -C a true replacement for javac.  gcjx
will make this happen, hopefully in time for Fedora Core 5.

In the meantime it would be very useful to create a pure bytecode
eclipse-ecj package, buildable by gcj -C, for distribution by
jpackage.org.  I wanted to do this when I first submitted java-gcj-
compat to JPackage but I never got around to it.  All the logic will be
in the Rawhide Eclipse spec file, since we bootstrap ecj using gcj -C.

> Note that ecj is still in fedora development, but katana is not (even
> though it is required by eclipse-ecj).
>
> A minor issue seems to be that classpathx-mail requires
> classpath-inetlib-javadoc, only I can't find a separate
> classpath-inetlib package. Instead, it seems to be in the
> classpathx-mail rpm, in which case no package can provide the
> classpath-inetlib-javadoc dependency that is needed.
>
> The other major problem is jessie. Does java-1.4.2-gcj4.0-compat really
> need jessie? Probably it does not for any of the base requirements. It
> may be possible to leave this requirement out initially, or leave it out
> together, and pull in jessie some other way.

I'm working on a patch that will merge Jessie into GNU Classpath/libgcj
which will eliminate this dependency.

Tom