[fedora-java] Fedora Core package list

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Tue May 10 11:03:21 UTC 2005

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> The Apache group started a discussion around getting a full free
> j2se implementation. It is obvious that they need input on the state
> of the existing efforts. Could someone make a list of all the new
> packages build with gcj 4 and gcj-java-compat for Fedora Core 4 and
> some simple instructions for someone that wants to get up and
> running quickly to check that out?

Well, the main packages are Tomcat and Eclipse.  I can't speak for the
Eclipse guys, but to try out Tomcat you'd probably do something like:

 1. Install a FC4tX box.
 2. yum install tomcat5 tomcat5-webapps tomcat5-admin-webapps
 3. service tomcat5 start
 4. Look at http://localhost:8080/

Assuming they know their way around Tomcat all they need to know to
configure it is that CATALINA_HOME is /usr/share/tomcat5.

Is that the kind of thing they're after?