[fedora-java] Re: How to setup full-fledged Java development environment under FC5?

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Fri Mar 31 19:33:52 UTC 2006

Dan Thurman wrote:
> Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get a serious
> Java development environment setup going?  I want to have
> full flexibility to download and install Eclipse tools and
> applications without being unencumbered with Fedora's port
> version preventing such operations, for example if I need
> to get RCP, WSP, Swing, AWT, and the zillions of other things
> that are rapidly being released by the Eclipse community.

It takes a little work, but it can be done.  For a 100% "real" Java
environment, you'll first want to remove all the gcj-compiled packages
from your system.  The vast majority of these can be identified with:

    rpm -qa | egrep 'jpp|eclipse'

Removing these packages should identify any other gcj packages.

(Note that you probably don't want to remove the gcj/gij runtime,
because OpenOffice.org uses it.)

Now ensure that you won't actually pull any of these packages from the
Fedora yum repositories by adding the following line to all of the
fedora* files in /etc/yum.repos.d:

    exclude=*jpp* eclipse*

Now you can set up the JPackage yum repositories as described on the
JPackage site.  I recommend adding the following line to all three
repositories in jpackage.repo:

    exclude=postgresql*

Good luck!

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net