[fedora-java] How to setup full-fledged Java development environment under FC5?

fernando at lozano.eti.br fernando at lozano.eti.br
Fri Mar 31 19:51:01 UTC 2006

Hi Dan,

You could start by better informing yourself. For example, Swing and AWT, for example, are *not*
relased by the Eclipse Community. And FC5 includes "alternative" Java tools because Sun tools are
not free software and so are not compatible with the Fedora Project goals. Althoug Sun Java is
freeware (gratis) the license termos prevent any Linux distro to include it. The only exception are
"enteprise" distributions like RHEL and SuSE, where the user has a support contract this allows the
vendor do redistribute Sun Java integrated to their package management systems.

In my experience, FC4 and FC5 Java development enviroment are worth the effort, but requires a level
of knowledge about Java and Linux which may not suit each and every project or developer. The simply
fact they run Eclipse itself, Tomcat and Struts show the enviroment should be good enough for
serious development.

Swing and AWT are the only pieces that are not ready for genenal use so if you need to use or
develop Swing and AWT appos (like Netbeans) you'll need to install another JDK. But if you need to
to GUI development you can use SWT and JavaGnome which are included on FC5 (of course you could also
use those with Sun Java).

Nothing prevents you from using Sun Java and downloading stuff directly from the Eclipse Foundation,
Apache Jakarta Project and others. You do not need to use only Sun or FC5 Java, you can have both
and use each one for different projects. But you may get some surprises if you don't know how to
properly configure your environment because you'll have two JVMs and more Java compilers and
standard API implementations. It's simply a matter of changing your PATH and CLASSPATH acording to
what you wll use.

Some developers (me included) prefer to use JPackage to deal with multiple JDKs and manage
dependencies between Java packages. By the way FC5 packages are based and compatible with JPackage.
But using JPackage with Sun Java requires you to first repackage the JDK because Sun downloads are
not compliant with standard Linux packaging (the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) and the licensing
terms won't alow anyone to redistribute a fixed packaging. Again, if you do have a support contrat
from Red Hat or SuSE you may get compliant packages from them.

Actually, FC5 Java packages provide both native ports (created uding ECJ from Eclipse and GCJ from
GCC) and standard class files inside JARs, so you don't need to download again whatever is already
provided by FC5. Using native code is an option you do get with GCJ but not from Sun Java. You could
just download another JDK (such as Sun's) and use it alongside FC5 packages if you need something
that won't with the FC5 Java-tools.

For example, you can use Sun Java to run FC5 Eclipse if you need some plugin that won't work with
GCH (the default Java for FC5).

[]s, Fernando Lozano