[fedora-java] Problem installing subclipse on FC4 distribution eclipse 3.1.1

Edward A. Hildum ehildum at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Sat May 13 05:11:23 UTC 2006

I've been using the CDT and subclipse plugins for some time on several
machines running FC4 installations.  Eclipse was installed using FC4
RPMs installed by yum.  The versions are current as of today.  I
recently tried to add subclipse to a different machine (x86 laptop).
Going the usual Help/Software Updates/Find and Install route using the
subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.0.x URL pops up Subclipse, but selecting
it produces a list of error messages:

Current configuration contains errors that are not corrected by the
requested operation and more errors would be introduced. See details for
more information.
  ----- Current configuration problems -----
    org.eclipse.team.bugzilla.feature (0.1.0) requires plug-in
"org.eclipse.ui".
    Eclipse C/C++ Development Tools (3.0.0) requires plug-in
"org.eclipse.ui".
    PyDev for Eclipse (0.9.3) requires plug-in "org.eclipse.core.runtime".
    ChangeLog Feature Plug-In (2.0.1) requires plug-in
"org.eclipse.core.runtime".
  ----- Configuration problems after the operation -----
    org.eclipse.team.bugzilla.feature (0.1.0) requires plug-in
"org.eclipse.ui".
    Eclipse C/C++ Development Tools (3.0.0) requires plug-in
"org.eclipse.ui".
    PyDev for Eclipse (0.9.3) requires plug-in "org.eclipse.core.runtime".
    ChangeLog Feature Plug-In (2.0.1) requires plug-in
"org.eclipse.core.runtime".
    Subclipse (1.0.0) requires plug-in "org.eclipse.ui".

This looks fairly basic to me; core.runtime and ui aren't needed by
eclipse proper?  Should I blow the installation away (again) and
reinstall?  Is installing from RPMs a bad way to get eclipse?  Can I
install plugins by hand?  The CDT plugin seems to run without problems,
though maybe I haven't exercised all its features.

Probably all newbie questions, but I'd appreciate help,
Thanks,
Ted Hildum