[fedora-java] F7 plan (gcj/java/eclipse/swt/java-gnome/fop/batik/etc)

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Tue Jan 2 16:00:27 UTC 2007

Hi,

* Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp.org> [2006-12-29 14:42]:

> - 1.5 language & library support in gcj

This would allow us to have Mylar which is something I'd like to see.
It'll also allow us to build the Eclipse SDK with the 1.5 bits (apt,
junit4) enabled.

> - eclipse/swt/rcp stack
>   3.2 seems already good to go, and 3.3 will not come out till the
>   middle of 2007. Azureus, RSSOwl also already seem updated.

Yeah, we're staying with 3.2.x for F7.  Ben and I will be making 3.3
M-build RPMs available outside of Fedora for testing purposes.

>   Maybe some work can be done to support the JDWP work in libgcj to
>   get a little debugging going? And it would be nice to make sure that
>   the ecj from eclipse and that from the gcj 1.5-stack match up.

Yes!  Although I don't think work can be done on the Eclipse side.  It
should Just Work like the proprietary JVMs do.  I think we're pretty
close to this.  Keith?

- Eclipse stuff
  Here, we're planning on:
    . trying to get most of the autotools work finished.  This means the
      underlying building stuff (which is mostly done at this point), an
      autoconf editor, an automake editor, the ability to invoke the
      individual tools independently, etc.  I'd also like to investigate
      a linked, form-based editor like the attached but I don't think
      I'll personally have time
    . packaging the language packs.  Kyu's almost finished with a tool
      to automate this.
    . seeing if we can include the RPM plugins.  I'd especially like to
      see the specfile editor.  This sort of depends upon it getting
      moved at eclipse.org.  That's underway.
    . getting a new version of PyDev ready
    . finishing up a specfile stubber that I've started on.  This will
      ease the packaging of features and will hopefully encourage more
      packaging contributors

I can't think of anything else at the moment.  It'd be great to get all
of these plans up on the Fedora wiki somewhere.

Andrew