[fedora-java] F7 plan (gcj/java/eclipse/swt/java-gnome/fop/batik/etc)

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Wed Jan 3 03:00:29 UTC 2007

Uttered Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp.org>, spake thus:

> On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 10:36 -0500, Francis Kung wrote:
> > > - gcj-compiled DocBook toolchain
> > >   It seems we have made lots of progress with FOP and Batik since the
> > >   last discussion about this:
> > >   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.documentation/4582
> > >   Does anybody know where we are with that at this time?
> > >   Would be nice to coordinate with the fedora-docs-list if we can
> > >   provide something.
> > Batik is working much better on Classpath now.  I don't know what areas
> > of Batik are used by DocBook, however, so I don't know how well we do in
> > this regard.
> > I've been working mostly off of the standard sample files that come with
> > Batik, but I can concentrate on this if we know what areas are needed.
> > I haven't heard of any other progress on the FOP/DocBook front.
> Karsten (CCed) Do you have a link or description of how the gcj-compiled
> DocBook toolchain should work to be useful for the doc-team?

Mark,

I've been a major contributor to the FDP/DocBook, mostly in the tools area.
I've developed some XMLTO patches that will let us use FOP et. al. and ASUI,
Tim Waugh -- the XMLTO maintainer -- is hanging fire waiting for there to
actually be a native FOP package.

I'm not sure what you're asking for here, so I'll shotgun a bunch of points in
the hope one will be near the mark.

As far as batik is concerned, we would mostly be using it via FOP; batik would
not absolutely need to be packaged separately, but it would be nice to use
standalone.  If I were assigning the priority, I'd want batik-like function
via the FOP interface rather than standalone batik.

The preferred rendering would be to PNG objects first, with a JPG alternative
a middling second.  No GIF, TIF and all the rest needed.

I'm sure Karsten and Paul W Frields will weigh in later, but this should be
close.

Cheers, HTH