[fedora-java] F7 plan (gcj/java/eclipse/swt/java-gnome/fop/batik/etc)

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Wed Jan 3 09:57:29 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 19:00 -0800, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> I've been a major contributor to the FDP/DocBook, mostly in the tools area.
> I've developed some XMLTO patches that will let us use FOP et. al. and ASUI,
> Tim Waugh -- the XMLTO maintainer -- is hanging fire waiting for there to
> actually be a native FOP package.

Great. Lets see what we can get together for F7.

> I'm not sure what you're asking for here, so I'll shotgun a bunch of points in
> the hope one will be near the mark.
>
> As far as batik is concerned, we would mostly be using it via FOP; batik would
> not absolutely need to be packaged separately, but it would be nice to use
> standalone.  If I were assigning the priority, I'd want batik-like function
> via the FOP interface rather than standalone batik.
>
> The preferred rendering would be to PNG objects first, with a JPG alternative
> a middling second.  No GIF, TIF and all the rest needed.

Yes, these priorities are useful. Since we are mostly compiler, runtime,
library hackers, and don't actually know much about the processes of the
doc-team, could you describe the "workflow" you would do? If you could
describe/show some sample input files, the stylesheets you would use,
the commands you would use to transform them and how you would expect
the rendered output files to look like that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Mark