[fedora-java] F7 plan (gcj/java/eclipse/swt/java-gnome/fop/batik/etc)

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Wed Jan 3 14:54:31 UTC 2007

Uttered Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp.org>, spake thus:

> Since we are mostly compiler, runtime,
> library hackers, and don't actually know much about the processes of the
> doc-team, could you describe the "workflow" you would do? If you could
> describe/show some sample input files, the stylesheets you would use,
> the commands you would use to transform them and how you would expect
> the rendered output files to look like that would be very helpful.

You can find all our tools, stylesheets and such in our Documentation Guide
on the web at:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/documentation-guide/sn-cvs-config.html

Setup the anonymous CVS as shown, and then check out two modules:

o  docs-commond
o  example-tutorial

In the "example-tutorial/" directory, do this heap big magic:

$ make pdf

All will be revealed.

The pithy part is that we will expect an executable named "fop" somewhere on
the path, where xmlto(1) can find it, because somewhere in all that
make(1)'ing, we generate a:

xmlto pdf example-tutorial.xml

(in essence, if not in fact).

Now, the stock xmlto(1) doesn't use FOP, it relies on the "passivetex" project
which appears to be not only broken, but defunct.

I've got a patched version of xmlto(1) here:

http://www.megacoder.com/files/xmlto/xmlto-0.0.18-7.src.rpm
http://www.megacoder.com/files/xmlto/xmlto-0.0.18-7.i386.rpm

so you can install that and try it out for real.  It won't install unless you
--force it to believe there actually is a FOP package.

I won't be around until this evening, but you can catch me then.

Cheers