[fedora-java] About XMvn project

Aleksandar Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Fri Feb 22 11:53:44 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Doing development means being able to do mix and match till you find the reasons why something fails. To the state modifying system deps in order to try something new. Not being able to rely on parent pom change affecting every child pom makes it impossible to do so. So it's not FUD it's a real use case which doesn't matter for people trying to just build stuff in order to throw an rpm out but it makes it close to impossible for people trying to do development using Fedora provided packages.

> > What would be more important to me are 2 other docs:
> > * How to migrate from old style of doing things
>
> First of all, that's not in domain of XMvn. That's related to new
> Java
> guidelines (which you don't want to discuss). Secondly, this
> documentation is already available and was announced on the mailing
> list.
>
> > * Changes in packages (from upstream) done on purpose by xmvn (aka
> > overriding compiler target to some minimum, changing poms, etc.).
> > This is the main thing that needs discussion always. Note that I
> > wrote "on purpose" as I'm well aware of changes that might happen
> > by
> > using different versions which is smth we have to live with.
>
> XMvn is just a build tool. It's driven by configuration. It does
> exactly what user asks it to do. Configuration options are described
> in development branch available in git and it will be available in
> Fedora with version 0.4.0. If you want to have impact then I welcome
> you to verify the latest documentation (I'll describe how to generate
> it if you are interested). If you think that there is something
> missing
> in the documentation then we can work on improving it.

OK, sorry about my mistake. So this documentation might not belong to xmvn but it needs to be provided somewhere and announced on this list.

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team