[fedora-java] a simple way to enable / disable Java?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:07:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Nelson Strother <xunilarodef at gmail.com> wrote:
> .1-1.fc17.i686
> still allows applets to run.  Only after killing and restarting the browser
> (Firefox; kill rather than close, so that all of the open tabs can be
> Restored) does loading a page containing an applet lead to:
>   A plugin is needed to display this content.

Please, Nelson, upgrade your browser.

Firefox 18 -afaik I´ve only tested on Windows- includes a new security
mechanism that prevents any plug-in content from running, on a
per-site basis, until you explicitely authorize it with a click (not
only the JRE or Icedtea plug-in but all plug-ins, including of any pdf
reader).

Plus, on my Windows systems, Firefox automagically disabled the Java
plug-in (not sure about Icedtea, but it checks Sun JRE builds) when it
detected I had Java 1.7.0 u10, but re-enabled it automagically when it
detected I had Java7u11, which solves the issues.

Perhaps if Firefox does the same with the Sun JRE plug-in, it could do
the same for insecure -if any- Icedtea builds?. Anyone knows if it
currently manages Icedtea as well?.

On a side note, the Sun/Oracle J7U11 browser plug-in no longer runs
unsigned or self-signed web applets automatically, making so-called
"zero click" attacks impossible. Perhaps IcedTea could do the same?.

FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell