[fedora-java] Heads-up: Upcoming netty major version update in Rawhide (Will Break Stuff)

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Tue Nov 5 11:44:33 UTC 2013

On 11/05/2013 12:36 PM, Marek Goldmann wrote:
> OK, I have new info on this.
>
> Netty is actually pulled by HornetQ, WildFly JMS implementation. There
> is an open bug upstream to upgrade to Netty 4:
>
>     https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HORNETQ-1215
>
> The fix version is the next release (2.4.0.CR1) and this version will be
> used by next pre-release (and later Final of course) of WildFly. As you
> can imagine I want to package it for Fedora 20 and Rawhide. I don't want
> to leave Beta1 in Fedora 20.
>
> So, here is the thing:
>
> This would require upgrading netty in Fedora 20 too, because if we don't
> do it - WildFly will not be able to get any new updates to Fedora 20
> which is a tragedy for me :)
>
> Is it doable, any ideas?

That will be difficult.

Wildfly is not the only user of Netty.  In fact several other
applications are using it too.  But if you get maintainers of all
applications using Netty to agree and if Netty was first tested in
rawhide for long enough then I can update it in Fedora 20 too.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
IRC: mizdebsk