[fedora-java] Heads-up: Upcoming netty major version update in Rawhide (Will Break Stuff)

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Tue Nov 5 14:49:20 UTC 2013

Quoting Marek Goldmann (2013-11-05 12:36:33)
> OK, I have new info on this.
>
> Netty is actually pulled by HornetQ, WildFly JMS implementation. There
> is an open bug upstream to upgrade to Netty 4:
>
>         https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HORNETQ-1215
>
> The fix version is the next release (2.4.0.CR1) and this version will be
> used by next pre-release (and later Final of course) of WildFly. As you
> can imagine I want to package it for Fedora 20 and Rawhide. I don't want
> to leave Beta1 in Fedora 20.
>
> So, here is the thing:
>
> This would require upgrading netty in Fedora 20 too, because if we don't
> do it - WildFly will not be able to get any new updates to Fedora 20
> which is a tragedy for me :)
>
> Is it doable, any ideas?

There's an idea (even if an ugly one) to package netty4 in F20 only (keeing
netty package there on 3.x). In F21+ we'd migrate all other packages to netty
4.x, update netty package to 4.x and make it obsolete netty4 from F20.

With XMvn there would be no (or minor) changes needed to packages that would
like to build against 4.x (and those changes would likely work in rawhide as
well). Most like all you'd have to do is ifdef for (build)requires.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241