[fedora-java] Packaging tomcat shell scripts

Severin Gehwolf sgehwolf at redhat.com
Thu Nov 7 09:41:25 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 08:29 +0100, Dridi Boukelmoune wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Ivan Afonichev <ivan.afonichev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So what is the decision of community?
>
> Hi,
>
> I've taken a look at the hadoop spec, and builded the httpfs
> sub-package. It is packaged as a classic all-in-one-dir "catalina
> base". I believe this goes against the guidelines [1] which state that
> "Fedora packages must follow the FHS".

This sounds strange. What's wrong with shipping
CATALINA_BASE==/usr/share/hadoop/httpfs/tomcat where actual directories
are symlinks to the right locations in %{_localstatedir} etc.? I guess
what you wanted to point out is that he shouldn't directly install
there, but use symlinks instead?

Since I've come along systemd's tomcat at foo service file[1] recently
while packaging thermostat in rawhide, what is preventing you from using
this for hadoop httpfs? It worked quite nicely for us, since we didn't
have to ship our own systemd service file. We now simply use $ systemctl
start tomcat at thermostat for firing up tomcat with a CATALINA_BASE
in /var/lib/tomcats/thermostat.

Please forgive me if I've missed an important point.

Cheers,
Severin

[1]
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/tomcat.git/tree/tomcat-named.service