[fedora-java] Packaging tomcat shell scripts

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 10:05:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Severin Gehwolf <sgehwolf at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 08:29 +0100, Dridi Boukelmoune wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Ivan Afonichev <ivan.afonichev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > So what is the decision of community?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've taken a look at the hadoop spec, and builded the httpfs
>> sub-package. It is packaged as a classic all-in-one-dir "catalina
>> base". I believe this goes against the guidelines [1] which state that
>> "Fedora packages must follow the FHS".
>
> This sounds strange. What's wrong with shipping
> CATALINA_BASE==/usr/share/hadoop/httpfs/tomcat where actual directories
> are symlinks to the right locations in %{_localstatedir} etc.?

I didn't notice those were symlinks with just rpmls.

> I guess
> what you wanted to point out is that he shouldn't directly install
> there, but use symlinks instead?

I'm sorry I don't understand your question. But the fact that the
all-in-one-dir catalina base actually links to FHS-compliant places
sounds good to me.

> Since I've come along systemd's tomcat at foo service file[1] recently
> while packaging thermostat in rawhide, what is preventing you from using
> this for hadoop httpfs? It worked quite nicely for us, since we didn't
> have to ship our own systemd service file. We now simply use $ systemctl
> start tomcat at thermostat for firing up tomcat with a CATALINA_BASE
> in /var/lib/tomcats/thermostat.

It looks very elegant to me! But I haven't found in the systemd.service(5)
man how you're achieving this, can you show me please ? Also you've
convinced me even more that catalina.sh and its friends are less relevant
to native packages.

Dridi