[fedora-java] Packaging of ObjectWeb ASM

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Mon Nov 11 14:49:30 UTC 2013

Currently Fedora ships two versions of ObjectWeb ASM -- objectweb-asm
(version 3.x) and objectweb-asm4 (version 4.x), neither of which are
compat packages.  About a month ago upstream released version 5.0 beta
and we can already start seeing packages requiring this new version.
Final version 5.0 can be expected soon.

Currently we can't get rid of ASM 3 as it is required by many packages,
but ASM 4 and ASM 5 should be compatible, so it should be OK for Fedora
to ship just versions 3 and 5.

My proposal of updating is:

1) Create a new package objectweb-asm3 which would be a copy of current
objectweb-asm and would be converted to be a compat package.

2) Give some time for maintainers of dependant packages to decide
whether they want to stay on version 3.x or keep depending on default
system version (which will be upgraded to 5.x).  The most important
packages can be ported by interested parties or provenpackagers.

3) Update objectweb-asm from version 3.x to version 5.x.  This version
would obsolete and provide objectweb-asm4.

4) Deprecate objectweb-asm4 package.

After these steps are completed, we'll have 2 ASM packages:

1) objectweb-asm, ASM version 5.x
   default provider of ASM (non-compat package)
   provides, obsoletes: objectweb-asm4

2) objectweb-asm3, ASM version 3.x
   compat package

What do you think about that? Do you have any better idea how to proceed
with update to ASM 5.x?

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
IRC: mizdebsk