[kde-redhat-users] Defaults for audio

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Dec 16 07:05:46 UTC 2008

On Monday 15 December 2008, Tejas Dinkar wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Rex Dieter sent out 0.5K bytes to say:
> > > Choices are:
> > > HDA Intel
> > > PulseAudio
> > > Jack
> > > PulseAudio Sound Server
> > > Esound
> > >
> > > Choosing the Defaults button gives me the above.
> > >
> > > Should default be PulseAudio (and if so, which one?)
>
> Mine are similar, but PulseAudio sound server is at the bottom.
>
> The first pulse audio has a PA icon, and the other one has an icon of a
> sound card (which leads me to believe the PA Sound Server is the one
> that represents the "fake" /dev/dsp, and the other one is preferable)

"PulseAudio Sound Server" is the PA ALSA plugin (ALSA pulse device).

What versions of kdebase-runtime, phonon and phonon-backend-xine are you
seeing this with? With:
kdebase-runtime-4.1.3-1.fc9.i386
phonon-4.2.0-5.fc9.i386
phonon-backend-xine-4.1.3-1.fc9.i386
I get:
PulseAudio
Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 (ES1371 DAC2/ADC)
PulseAudio Sound Server
which is what is supposed to happen.

If this is broken in the KDE 4.2 packages, I'll have to look into fixing my
patches.

        Kevin Kofler