[kde-redhat-users] Defaults for audio

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 13:17:50 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 16 December 2008, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> On Monday 15 December 2008, Tejas Dinkar wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Rex Dieter sent out 0.5K bytes to say:

> > Mine are similar, but PulseAudio sound server is at the bottom.
> >
> > The first pulse audio has a PA icon, and the other one has an icon of a
> > sound card (which leads me to believe the PA Sound Server is the one
> > that represents the "fake" /dev/dsp, and the other one is preferable)
>
> "PulseAudio Sound Server" is the PA ALSA plugin (ALSA pulse device).
>
> What versions of kdebase-runtime, phonon and phonon-backend-xine are you
> seeing this with? With:
> kdebase-runtime-4.1.3-1.fc9.i386
> phonon-4.2.0-5.fc9.i386
> phonon-backend-xine-4.1.3-1.fc9.i386
> I get:
> PulseAudio
> Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 (ES1371 DAC2/ADC)
> PulseAudio Sound Server
> which is what is supposed to happen.
>
> If this is broken in the KDE 4.2 packages, I'll have to look into fixing my
> patches.

I've switched to PulseAudio @top (manually). So far it's been reliable, but
quite choppy.

One buglet, after plugging in my usb audio device, then removing it, @login
I'm asked whether to "permanently" remove these devices.  That sounds scary.
Shouldn't that be rephrased?  Sounds like permanently remove might mean it
will never recognize the device again if I plug it in.